Ewen was born in Scotland. He moved to Norway in 2000 together with his Norwegian wife. They have two children together. They live on Hesså by Adventure Norway. Ewen started Adventure Norway in 2003.
Ewen had a career in the British army as fitness instructor. He worked mainly as outdoor pursuits instructor who trained soldiers in Britain, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Norway, Canada, Austria and holds the following qualifications:
- BCU (british canoe union) – Level 5 Kayak coach.
- BASI ( British association of snowsport instructors) – Nordic level 3 ISIA
- Alpine level 2
- Telemark level 2
- DSV ( Deutschskiverband) Ski lehrer – Alpin/ Langlauf
- IML ( International mountain leader)
- HBF ( Heeresbergfuhrer) – germany army mountain guide
- MIA ( Mountain instructor award)
Ewen has led several climbing expeditions in Nepal, Argentina, Norway France and Austria.